Office: (615) 488-1770, Cell: (512) 589-9154
Bradley Coburn, co-founder of Shelton Coburn, litigates intellectual property cases involving patent infringement, trademark infringement, copyright infringement, theft of trade secrets, and unfair competition. Mr. Coburn also litigates technology-related commercial litigation cases.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Coburn counsels clients on a wide range of technology and intellectual property issues, including cybersecurity, intellectual property licensing, trademark protection and prosecution, intellectual property due diligence, technology-related agreements, and employment issues related to protecting intellectual property.
Previously, Mr. Coburn practiced at Fish & Richardson P.C. before co-founding the boutique IP Law firm, Denko Coburn Lauff LLP in 2009 and practicing at Dykema Gossett LLP from 2016-2017. He is a former law clerk to the Honorable James R. Nowlin, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas (Austin Division).
Mr. Coburn earned his law degree from the University of Texas School of Law, where he was an editor of the Texas Law Review, and his undergraduate degree from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. Texas Monthly has recognized him as a Texas Super Lawyer for 2014-2019.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law (2002) (Law Review, Chief Notes Editor)
- B.S. Economics, Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania (1999)
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
Professional and Community Activities
- State of Tennessee
- State of Texas; U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Federal Bar Association, Austin Chapter (President, 2012-2013)
- Montgomery Bell Academy, Advisory Board
Section 337 Proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission
- Certain Audio Processing Hardware and Software and Products Containing the Same (Investigation No. 337-TA-949) – Represented audio hardware and software providers as Respondent and Intervenor, respectively, where Complainant alleged infringement of five patents relating to audio input processing software.
- Certain Noise Cancelling Headphones (Investigation No. 337-TA-626) – Represented audio technology company enforcing active noise-cancelling headphone patents against seven respondents.
District Court Actions
- Axcess Int’l, Inc. v. AMAG Technology, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex. 2016) - Defend seller of access control and surveillance technologies in patent infringement suit.
- Trover Group, Inc. et al v. USA Vision Systems, Inc. (E.D. Tex. 2014) - Defend U.S. subsidiary of Taiwanese electronics company in patent infringement suit.
- Wickfire, LLC v. Trimax Media, Inc. (W.D. Tex. 2014) - Represent performance search engine marketing company, Wickfire, LLC, in prosecuting federal false designation of origination, business disparagement, defamation, and tortious interference with contract action.
- Waves Audio, Ltd et al. v. Motorola Mobility LLC et al. (N.D. Cal. 2013) - Represent GRAMMY® Award-winning audio technology company, Waves Audio, in trademark infringement action.
- Rotatable Techs, Inc. v. Blastro, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex. 2013) - Defend online music video service, Blastro, Inc., against patent infringement claims.
- Entorian Techs., Inc. v. Polystak, Inc. & Fusion-IO, Inc. (N.D. Cal. 2012) - Represent chipmaker Entorian Technologies in patent infringement action against competing companies.
- Ah Ha Publishing, LLC v. Mark Herer, Personal Representative of the Estate of Jack Herer (W.D. Tex. 2012) - Defend copyright holder against declaratory judgment action on contract claims; prosecute copyright infringement claims on behalf of copyright holder.
- 2010 MFI, LLC and Robert McDonald, III v. STC.UNM, Inc. et al. (W.D. Tex. 2012) - Represent inventor and related entity in declaratory judgment of ownership of patent rights and theft of trade secrets action.
- E-Contact Techs., LLC v. Liquid Web, Inc. (W.D. Tex. 2012) - Defend server hosting company, Liquid Web, Inc., against patent infringement claims.
- Cecilio Musical Instruments v. Austin Bazaar, Inc. et al. (W.D. Tex. 2011) - Defend online musical instrument retailer, Austin Bazaar, Inc., against trademark infringement and trademark counterfeiting claims.
- Keen v. Marek et al. (W.D. Tex. 2011) - Defend hydroponics technology companies and principals in patent litigation. Favorable settlement including transfer of asserted patent to client. Also included successful judgment in companion state court suit involving trade secret issues, among others.
- Positive Technologies, Inc. v. Sony Electronics, Inc. et al. (N.D. Cal. 2011) - Represent pioneering inventor of display technologies in patent infringement action.
- Keen v. Global Garden Supply, LLC et al. (W.D. Tex. 2011) - Defend hydroponics company against patent infringement claims.
- DDB Techs., LLC v. Prestosports, Inc. (W.D. Tex. 2011) - Defend e-commerce and web analytics solutions provider, Prestosports, Inc., against patent infringement claims.
- Microsoft Corp. v. Serhal-TEK, LLC et al. (W.D. Tex. 2010) - Defend online refurbished computer hardware retailer, Serhal-TEK, LLC, against copyright and trademark infringement claims.
- Prophet Capital Management Ltd. v. Prophet Equity, LLC (W.D. Tex. 2009) - Defend investment fund, Prophet Equity, LLC, against trademark infringement claims.
- Crossroad Sys., Inc. v. Digilink Tech., Inc. et al. (W.D. Tex. 2009) - Defend online computer hardware and software product retailer, Digilink Technology, Inc., against patent infringement claims.
- Tompkins v. Able Planet, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex. 2009) - Defend manufacturer/retailer of toxin-safe baby and sports products, Thinkbaby, Inc., against patent false marking claim.
- Progressive Concepts, Inc. v. Hawk Electronics, Inc. (N.D. Tex. 2008) - Assert trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and unfair competition claims on behalf of electronics components manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer.
- 3N Global, Inc. v. Zimmers et al. (C.D. Cal. 2008) - Defend 3N Global, Inc. against patent infringement claims.
- Polaroid Corp. v. Hewlett-Packard Company (D. Del. 2007) - Defend Hewlett-Packard Company against patent infringement claims.
- The Heisman Trophy Trust v. Triton Financial, LLC et al. (W.D. Tex. 2007) - Assert trademark infringement and dilution claims on behalf of The Heisman Trophy Trust.
- Multimedia Patent Trust (Lucent) v. Microsoft Corp. (S.D. Cal. 2006) - Defend Microsoft against patent infringement claims and prosecute patent infringement counterclaims on behalf of same.
- Silicon Svcs. Consortium, Inc. v. Applied Materials, Inc. (W.D. Tex. 2006) - Defend Applied Materials against antitrust claims and assert patent infringement counterclaims on behalf of same.
- Diagnostic Sys. Corp. v. Motive, Inc. et al. (C.D. Cal. 2006) - Defend Motive, Inc. against patent infringement claims.
- Lucent Techs., Inc. v. Microsoft Corp. et al. (S.D. Cal. 2003) - Defend Microsoft against patent infringement claims.